Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Day 1: "Yes, Grasshopper"

I was trying to take a picture of a hibiscus flower, and saw this guy staring at me.  I'm pleased with how the grasshopper turned out, as I have never gotten a decent bug photo before, but the stick coming toward the camera I find distracting.  Also, I had to sharpen his face to get it in focus.

The grasshopper was very cooperative, and just watched me taking bunches of photos with different settings, and then turned his face toward me for this one.  Mostly they were overexposed.  I'm still learning to tell what's actually good when I look at the display.  There's probably an adjustment somewhere..... 

Nikon D7000, f/11, 1/500 sec, ISO-100, 200 mm, natural light


I got to thinking, "What kind of Worthian am I if I can't figure out how to remove a stupid stick?"  So here's the redo. 



7 comments:

  1. Excellent shot, and the redo is definitely Worth it! Well done on a great start to your challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful shots! And an amazing edit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! The edit was actually very easy.... a lot easier than the normal editing I do! I was lucky that the sun was so bright, so underneath was all dark and easy.

    I'm afaid this is going to be my best shot all month. Nothing like starting high and going downhill. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I do not know how I never saw this one It is very nice! I really like ths

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great shot, Barabara! Good work on the touch-up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For a first bug shoot, this is fantastic! Great clarity and seamless removal of bothersome stick!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, great strength of colour, depth of field and sharpness of the subject!

    ReplyDelete