Friday, October 25, 2013

Day 25: "Yo!"

I needed a photo for work so figured this was a good time to try shooting a portrait without the lights flashing.  I had to use the modeling lamps, a longer shutter speed, and bumped up the exposure in post.  Worked out fairly well!  I would have moved the lights a little more, but ran out of time.  Still, it's as good as anything I've had done in a cheap studio, so I'm very happy.  :)

I forgot to adjust the colors the first time around.  I went back and lightened up the reds, which had the effect of removing a lot of the shadow on the right side of the photo.  My face maybe got a little bit pasty, but overall, I think it's an improvement.  The original is the little one.




3 comments:

  1. Nice selfie! They are tricky to do indeed, when you can't see what's going on in the viewfinder! I think a bit of a fill from the right with a reflector would have lightened your eye just a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you can see where another light would work. If you put one light behind you set at the lowest power (you can also put cloth or tissue paper over the reflector to further lower the output) you will get a hair light which will create some separation between you and the dark background. The reflector will give you shadow detail in the right side of your face and a catch light in your eye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. I really appreciate the help. It will be good when I can practice on other people. (Reflectors. I must remember to use reflectors!) I do have a light above me, but it needs to be adjusted as Ratbar said.

    ReplyDelete